The past year has many of us thinking of ways we can be healthier and be more considerate towards others. There is no better time, than Earth Day on April 22, to explore lifestyle changes to be more environmentally conscious. From the products we use to the companies we support – below are three simple tips to help you be more eco-friendly and positively impact your own health. As the world around us changes, so should we change to help the world.
1. Omit Single Use Plastics
While convenient, single use plastics are one of the most common (and avoidable) forms of the 91% of plastics that end up unrecycled in the environment. Follow these simple steps to cut single use plastics from our daily routine:
- Use reusable water containers instead of disposable water bottles
(These often keep your water colder for longer and you can infuse or even filter the water you put inside!)
- Use reusable shopping bags when shopping (keep them in your handbag, computer bag or car)
- Use a easily sanitized stainless steel straw and reusable cutlery
- Consider reusable food wraps over kitchen wrap, 100% compostable waste bags vs standard plastic bags and food safe food storage instead of disposable snack containers.
(Good brands are made from eco-friendly, BPA free, lead free materials and are often better for our health then the disposable alternatives)
2. Use Eco-friendly Household Cleaners
Ultimately, the more people who use eco-friendly cleaning products, the less harmful it is on our local environment and the plant. Roughly 80% of the world’s wastewater flows back into the environment without being treated. This includes the water from our showers, sinks, laundry machines and toilets. Choosing eco-friendly cleaning products benefits both the quality of the air we breathe, the water we drink and in turn directly benefits our own health. Try incorporating these easy alternatives into your clean up routine today:
- Ditch the bleach and try one of these all-natural flood cleaners – some even boast being carbon neutral!
- For the more ‘go-green enthusiasts’, try these DIY eco-friendly cleaning alternatives
- Try squeezing 80+ washes out of your ordinary shampoo + conditioner containers – these sulphate-free, eco-friendly shampoo/cleansing bars replace body wash too!
3. Go Paperless
We can’t speak to the importance of an eco-friendly future without mentioning the impact of paper on the environment. Paper accounts for approximately 26% of all the waste at landfills. The production of paper alone accounts for several additional adverse environmental impacts including deforestation, C02 production, water and air pollution. Did you know that as paper disintegrates it emits methane gas which has more than 80% of the warming power of carbon dioxide? Small steps towards going paperless has the potential of making a large beneficial change towards the environment.
- Opt for digital magazine subscriptions, books or audio books. Several vendors offer free trials and it’s often less expensive and includes bonus access to added resources!
- Sign up for paperless billing – receive bills and bank online
- When baking, use reusable silicone molds and mats over one use paper liners
- Reusable, biodegradable and compostable – these reusable sponge cloths are the perfect alternative to paper towel and a zero-waste choice for the environment!
Remember, a good planet is hard to find, so let’s take care of the one we have, and each other!